Plastic Checkout Bag Bylaw
Another step in sustainability!
Wetaskiwin City Council passed the Plastic Checkout Bag Bylaw at their regular October 9, 2018 City Council Meeting. The plastic bag ban will come into effect locally on July 9, 2019. As of this date, the following will take effect:
- Retail establishments are prohibited from selling or distributing single-use plastic checkout bags thinner than 2.0 mils thick.
- This will apply to any location where goods are offered for sale, including grocery stores, retail stores, farmers' markets, fast food or restaurants. If you are unsure if your business is affected by the plastic bag ban, please contact us at 780.361.4420 or email the City Clerk.
- Exceptions to the ban include:
- plastic produce bags
- plastic bags to contain fresh meat or fish products
- plastic bags used to contain bulk food items or bulk hardware items
- plastic bags used to contain freshly prepared bakery items or other food items
- plastic bags used for wrapping flowers or potted plants
- dry-cleaning bags or other professional laundering bags
- plastic bags used to contain dirty, greasy, or hazardous products or materials
Furthermore, after June 1, 2020:
- Stores must charge a minimum of $0.15 per single use paper checkout bag
- Fast food restaurants, food delivery, sit-down restaurants, and mobile catering businesses will be exempt from the $0.15 charge
The Plastic Checkout Bag Bylaw can be read or downloaded here.
On June 25th, 2018 a report that was submitted to City Council which summarized single-use bag bans and fees across multiple jurisdictions. The report is available here.
If you have any questions or comments regarding the single-use plastic bag ban, email the City Clerk or phone 780.361.4420.
Public Engagement Results
The results from the Plastic Bag Surveys to Businesses and Residents can be found here.
Are you a Retail Establishment in Wetaskiwin?
Download the Business Kit here. The Kit provides a summary of Plastic Checkout Bag Bylaw, key messages for customers, and a reusable bag cheat sheet.